Title: Athar for pain

Question

As-Salam Alaikum,

Could you please tell me if there are athars for a person who has been wronged that has pain and hurt in their heart to say in the morning and evening? I was told by a student of knowledge who has studied numerous of Sheikhs in Saudi that there are athars to say. This was months ago when this student of knowledge informed me, but I lost the paper on what they exactly were. I think it went something like this and there are certain numbers to say them for each:

Subhanan Allah

Allahu Akbar

La illah Allah

Could you please tell me the athars and how many times we should we say it in the morning and evening?

Thank you.

Answer

Allah Ta’ala mentions a prescription in the Qur’an for one suffering from an aching heart. This prescription was given to Rasulullah (ﷺ). Allah Ta’ala says:

وَلَقَدْ نَعْلَمُ أَنَّكَ يَضِيقُ صَدْرُكَ بِمَا يَقُولُونَ فَسَبِّحْ بِحَمْدِ رَبِّكَ وَكُنْ مِنَ السَّاجِدِينَ

“And We know that your heart feels distressed for what they say.  So proclaim the purity and glory of your Rabb and be among those who prostrate.” (Surah al Hijr Verse: 97-98)

Thus, one should abundantly and constantly do the Dhikr of Allah Ta’ala during the morning and evening. To facilitate this and bring steadfastness in one’s self, one should set aside some time and sit in seclusion exclusively for the Dhikr of Allah Ta’ala. This will also bring a definite consciousness of Allah Ta’ala without any distractions. One can do the following Dhikr one hundred times in the morning and evening:

سبحان الله والحمد لله ولا إله إلا الله والله اكبر ولا حول ولا قوة الا بالله العلي العظيم 

Transliteration: Subhaana Allaahi wal hamdu lillaahi walaa ilaaha illa Allaahu Wallaahu Akbar. Wa laa hawla walaa quwwata illaa billaahil aliyy al-adheem

Through the Dhikr of Allah, one will be relieved of hurt and pain and will be granted contentment of the heart as is the promise of Allah Ta’ala:

أَلَا بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ

“Behold! The hearts find peace through the remembrance of Allah.” (Surah ar Ra’d Verse: 28)

Rasulullah (ﷺ) would also supplicate with the following during distressing times:

كَانَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَدْعُو عِنْدَ الْكَرْبِ يَقُولُ "لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ الْعَظِيمُ الْحَلِيمُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ رَبُّ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَرَبُّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيمِ"

Transliteration: La ilaha illal-lahu Rabbul-l-'arsh il-'azim, La ilaha illallahu Rabbu-s-samawati wa Rabbu-l-ard, Rabbu-l-'arsh-il-Karim.[1]

Abdullah ibn Mohammed Aijaz

Baltimore, USA

صحيح البخاري (8/ 75) [1]

- حَدَّثَنَا مُسْلِمُ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، حَدَّثَنَا هِشَامٌ، حَدَّثَنَا قَتَادَةُ، عَنْ أَبِي العَالِيَةِ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمَا، قَالَ: كَانَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَدْعُو عِنْدَ الكَرْبِ يَقُولُ: «لاَ إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ العَظِيمُ الحَلِيمُ، لاَ إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ رَبُّ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ، وَرَبُّ العَرْشِ العَظِيمِ»