Title: Déjà vu. Any basis in Islam?

Question

[Resubmission]

As-salaamu ‘alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatu!

Is there anything about déjà vu in Islam? I am not talking about the hadith that says that sometimes we connect with people instantly due to having already met them in the world before this one; rather, I am talking about experiencing a scenario that we feel has already occurred at least once before.

These occurrences are irregular. Sometimes, they happen frequently (maybe more than once a month); other times, they happen infrequently (maybe once every few months). Maybe even more rarely (only happened about twice), the occurrence may be so strong that it feels like I have experienced the situation at least twice before (perhaps déjà vu within déjà vu). Each time, all the details of the scene are the exact same, regardless of whether they are major or minor.

I have some idea about the scientific explanation for déjà vu, but I would like to know if there is anything Islamic about this. If so, then what does this imply?

Jazak Allah Khayr!

Answer

Déjà vu is a French term describing the feeling that one has lived through the present situation before. Déjà vu is a feeling of familiarity and déjà vécu (the feeling of having "already lived through" something) is a feeling of recollection.

The Déjà vu phenomenon where one has recollection of past incidents is natural and not related to religion.