Country: Pakistan

Name Adyan

Question

Assalam-o-Alaikum

After going through this website, I had named my son as 'Adyan Ahmed'. Responding to a question, you had allowed someone to name the baby as Adyan. You had said that it means 'pious' or 'religious'.

But, unfortunately I could not find from this meaning of the word from any dictionary.

So I will be highly obliged if you guide me about the etymology of this word with the meaning of 'pious' or religious' or any such reference to address my confusion. Because at most of the places, I found its meaning as plural of Deen. 

Jazaak Allah

Answer

It seems from your query that your concern stems from the conflation of two words, adyan (أدين) and adyaan (أديان), i.e. one with an alif and one without an alif. Adyan (أدين), without an alif comes on the superlative scale (ism tafdheel) which means righteous or pious is mentioned in one of our previous answers.

The word adyaan (أديان), i.e. with an alif, is the plural form of deen which means religion.

Hence, it is permissible to keep the first word (أدين) as a name, not the second (أديان). However, one should be careful as not to stretch the name lest it is pronounced as the second word mentioned above.