Title: Zakat on benefits

Question

I have a disability as such I receive part of money from the government. Do I have to pay zakat on that money?

Answer

In principle, the money you receive will be part of your cash in hand and will be liable for Zakat if your Zakateable assets reach the Nisaab.

You may refer to the footnotes in regards to calculating Zakat.[i] You may also refer to Bahishti Zewar for further details on Zakat.[ii]

[i]

Answer:

In principle, a person will be liable to give Zakat when one’s wealth reaches the Nisaab.[i] The Nisaab is 87.479 grams of gold and 612.35 grams of silver, or its equivalent in cash.[i] Thereafter, the following year, on the same date of the lunar calendar, one will have to give Zakat if one has Zakatable assets equivalent to the Nisaab on that date each year.[i] Zakat will be liable on gold and silver, cash in hand and business assets.

Long term loans do not prevent the obligation of Zakat whereas short term loans prevent the obligation of Zakat. Therefore, if someone is paying off a long-term debt such as a mortgage, then the debt of one year will be exempt from Zakat. For example, if someone is repaying a mortgage and pays £5000 annually, then this amount is exempt from Zakat.[i]

….