Title: Working as hotel manager

Question

My husband works as a hotel manager. The hotel was bought through financing and involves mortgage payments to a bank. My husband's father is the hotel's owner. Even though my husband is working as an employee and receives a pay for his work, are his earnings halal?

Answer

Answer:

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuhu

There are two issues in the query. The financing of the hotel and your husbands employment as a manager.

It was not permissible to finance the hospital through conventional mechanisms as that involves paying interest which is prohibited and constitutes a sin. However. Your husband’s employment as a manager is a different issue. The impermissible financing of the hotel does not affect the halal status of your husband’s income as a manager of the hotel.

Ismail Desai,