Country: Germany
Date: 21st April 2016

Effects of Gambling

Question

Please can you inform me of the effects of gambling on ones life, household, rizq and children.

My husband gambles 'occasionally' as he says ( Allah knows best) but says theres no harm because its not something that he does daily. The only reason its not daily is because we live in a town with no casino...but I recently found out that hes been going when we in a city...he just lies about work and visiting friends and cousins and he goes at times when kids are asleep and I cant go with.

I know it is not occasionally because I managed to get information from the casinos and the amounts that were used there, shows otherwise.

Our relationship has always been turbulent . he is showing no remorse...I have three children and feel like I cannot bring them up in a household like this.

Answer

We are sorry to hear of the turbulence in your marriage. We make dua Allah Taala bring peace and happiness in your life.

Whatever is prohibited in Shariah, it is due to the harms contained in it. Allah Taala is Al-Hakeem( The All Wise) He has expressly prohibited gambling.  We trust in the absolute knowledge of Allah Taala and believe that gambling is harmful and detrimental.

Hereunder are some of the harms of gambling,

• Ø Disobeying Allah Taala by committing a prohibited act.
  • Ø The mind gets consumed in gambling and forgets Allah Taala and other obligations like Salah and Zikr. Such an attitude incurs the anger and wrath of Allah Taala and deprives one of peace and happiness.
  • Ø Gambling leads to an addiction and incurring debts to pursue ones addiction. This in turn affects ones marriage and family life and host of spiritual maladies.

Health harms

• Ø Self-esteem declines as losses increase.
  • Ø Problem gamblers suffer more from stress, anxiety, moodiness, attention deficit hyperactivity, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and manic and clinical depression.
  • Ø They are at increased risk of experiencing blackouts and emotional breakdowns.
  • Ø Some physical problems include muscular tension, fatigue, stomach ailments, insomnia, ulcers, colitis, high blood pressure, heart disease, migraines, and skin problems.
  • Ø Compulsive gamblers are likely to turn to alcohol, cigarettes, or other drugs to cope with anxiety or depression.
  • Ø About 80 percent of compulsive gamblers seriously consider suicide and 15 percent attempt it.

We advise you consult with senior members of your family on the issue. Also turn to Allah with Salah and Dua and Zikr.

Huzaifah Deedat

________________________

{يَسْأَلُونَكَ عَنِ الْخَمْرِ وَالْمَيْسِرِ قُلْ فِيهِمَا إِثْمٌ كَبِيرٌ وَمَنَافِعُ لِلنَّاسِ وَإِثْمُهُمَا أَكْبَرُ مِنْ نَفْعِهِمَا } [البقرة: 219]

{يَاأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِنَّمَا الْخَمْرُ وَالْمَيْسِرُ وَالْأَنْصَابُ وَالْأَزْلَامُ رِجْسٌ مِنْ عَمَلِ الشَّيْطَانِ فَاجْتَنِبُوهُ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ (90)} [المائدة: 90] 

http://rehab-international.org/gambling-addiction/effects

http://patient.info/health/problem-gambling

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/18361