Country: Pakistan

My husband is under the influence of his elder bothers wife

Question

My husband is under the influence of his elder bothers wife. She has a complete control on our marritual life. My husband do not buy anything for me and childern before her permission. Usually he go to market with her to get gifts for us. Later his bhabhi tells to other family members that my husabnd does not like me and even do not want to live with me. This is her who is saving relationship and all gift purchased by my husband account is acctually bought by her to save this relationship. My husabnd only spend on kids and me after fulfilling their bothers family luxury wishes. Most of the time he do not left enough money for our needs. If I try to point out that his first responsibilty is his children and wife, he got angry or just ignore me. What should I do in that condition. 

Answer

It is the responsibility of a husband to provide adequate food, clothing and shelter for his wife and children. If your husband is not providing basic necessities for you and your children, you may approach a respectable member of the family who has influence over your husband and explain to him your situation. You should also explain your concern regarding your brothers sister in law’s influence on your marriage. It is Islamically incorrect for your brother to go to the market alone with his sister in law.       

Hafizurrahman Fatehmahomed 

Netherlands