Country: Trinidad and Tobago

Conditioned Divorced by a 60 year old man

Question

My father is 60years old.he told my mum if she leaved the house she is divorced. She asked for a few days to pack her things. She stayed a few days without physical contact with him and then left.is she divorced? 

How should I treat my father after a divorce that I felt was unfair to my mother

Answer

1.  What is the exact statement your father made?

1.  Did he mean the statement in general or for that particular time?

Please enquire from your father. 

As a child, it is compulsory upon you to be obedient and respectful to both parents. Allah says, 

وقضي ربك الا تعبدوا الا اياه وبالوالدين احسانا

(Translation: “And your lord has ordained for you that you not worship anyone but him and treat parents with kindness”)[1]

A child should not involve him/herself in parent’s disputes. He/she should use the attachment of love to bring about harmony between parents to the best of his/her ability. 

Ahmad Jafari

Atlanta, Georgia, USA

سورة بني اسرائيل 23 [2]