Category:

Cosmetic Surgery

Question

Assalamu Alaikum,
I am a boy and have a very big and bulbous nose, and the shape of the nose is "UGLY". My face looks "ugly" for my ugly nose. I am single and 26 years old. My "BIGGEST DREAM" in my life is - to marry a beautiful girl. The truth is - I "cannot" marry someone who is NOT attractive to me.

I extremely fear that I will be rejected by any attractive girl for my ugly face. May be I have to be alone for my whole life if all the attractive girls reject me. :( 

Can I get a nose job JUST to make my nose "NOT UGLY"?

(It's EXTREMELY RARE that I found someone else with an ugly nose like mine  :( :( :(  )

Please reply asap. Thanks.

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh

Our bodies are an Amanat (trust) given to us by Allah (Ta'ala). We should protect our bodies as far as possible. We should ensure that we do not use our bodies for impermissible and unlawful activities in the Shariah.

In principle, cosmetic surgery is impermissible as that falls under the purview of Muthlah al-Khalq (mutilation of the human body), Taghyeer al-Khalq (changing the himan form) and Khiyanah (deception) which have been prohibited in the Shariah. However, the Fuqahaa have stated that medical surgery is permissible for a medical abnormality. For example, surgical removal of a sixth finger or treatment of a dysfunctional and unnatural ear.

With regards to your specific query, it is impermissible for you to undergo cosmetic surgery since you do not have a medical abnormality.

You also state that you have certain marriage fears, we advise you to avoid negative feelings and do not lose hope and give way to dejection and pessimistic thoughts. Allah (Ta'ala) has chosen to create you in his infinite wisdom with such a nose. We should not question the wisdon of Allah (Ta'ala).

Make sincere Du'aa to Allah (Ta'ala) to grant you a suitable partner who will be amicable to you. Also discuss your marriage issue with your parents and advise them of the partner you aspire for and Insha'Allah they will willingly assist you. Approach the matter with positivity and leave the rest in the will of Allah (Ta'ala).

And Allah (Ta'ala) Knows Best

Ismail Desai