I place you in the protection of Allaah and His Messenger

Question

Assalamalaykum, When saying goodbye in Urdu sometimes people say Allah ne valeh. Which loosely translates as to Allah or in the protection of Allah. Someone today said to me Allah teh nabi tasool ne valeh. Which means to Allah and the prophet messenger. Is this aceptable?

Answer

It is not permissible to say “I place you in the protection of Allaah and His Messenger”. That can constitute shirk. Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasllam) does not have the power to protect anyone. He is a human being and does not possess divine powers. It is only Allaah Ta’aala who can protect[1].

[1] [الأعراف: 188]

{قُلْ لَا أَمْلِكُ لِنَفْسِي نَفْعًا وَلَا ضَرًّا إِلَّا مَا شَاءَ اللَّهُ وَلَوْ كُنْتُ أَعْلَمُ الْغَيْبَ لَاسْتَكْثَرْتُ مِنَ الْخَيْرِ وَمَا مَسَّنِيَ السُّوءُ إِنْ أَنَا إِلَّا نَذِيرٌ وَبَشِيرٌ لِقَوْمٍ يُؤْمِنُونَ (188)}

[الكهف: 110]

{قُلْ إِنَّمَا أَنَا بَشَرٌ مِثْلُكُمْ يُوحَى إِلَيَّ أَنَّمَا إِلَهُكُمْ إِلَهٌ وَاحِدٌ فَمَنْ كَانَ يَرْجُو لِقَاءَ رَبِّهِ فَلْيَعْمَلْ عَمَلًا صَالِحًا وَلَا يُشْرِكْ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِ أَحَدًا}

[القصص: 88]

{وَلَا تَدْعُ مَعَ اللَّهِ إِلَهًا آخَرَ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ كُلُّ شَيْءٍ هَالِكٌ إِلَّا وَجْهَهُ لَهُ الْحُكْمُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ }