Date: 4th December 2015

I'd like to know if subscribing for my pension plan will be halal

Question

I'd like to know if subscribing for my pension plan will be halal. Now, I realise you'll be required to go know the inner details, but I can't attach anything to send you all the information you'll need to make a decision.

Please acknowledge my request, and I shall send over the material.

Answer

in the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh

Conventional pension plans are impermissible since the majority of the funds are invested in Non-Shariah Compliant companies. Furthermore guaranteed pension benefits are impermissible. There are other impermissible elements within conventional pension schemes. We advise you to search for Shariah Compliant alternatives in the United Kindgom. We are happy to review the documentation and advise further.

Ismail Desai,

Checked and Approved,