Marrying Best Friend’s Husband

Question

Can my best friend's husband marry me?

My best friend's husband proposed marriage to me, I refused. Should I keep this a secret from her? we've been friends for 10 years and she's been married for 20. Am I going against sunnah for refusing this? I don't want our relationship to sour. Please advise me to what to do, I feel horrible that she doesn't know the situation.

Jazzak Allahu Khayran!

Answer

You refer to your friend as your best friend. A best friend ought to be sensitive to the friend’s feelings and interests. You state that you do not want the relationship with your best friend to sour. You state this as you probably know how your friend would react if you were to accept the proposal.

It is not necessary to accept the proposal and you will not be going against the sunnah for refusing the proposal. You may conceal the proposal from your friend.

We also advise you to adhere to the laws of hijab in front of your friend’s husband. The absence of hijab leads to such attractions and eventually leads to distraction and destruction in good relationships.

And Allah Ta‘ālā Knows Best.