Country: Australia
Date: 3rd February 2015

Duas for pregnancy and labor pains

Question

Are there masnoon duas which can be recited during pregnancy for a pious child. And for ease and aafiyat in labour? 

Answer

1) The following verses of the Qur’ān will serve well in making du`ā for a pious child:

رَبِّ هَبْ لِي مِنْ لَدُنْكَ ذُرِّيَّةً طَيِّبَةً إِنَّكَ سَمِيعُ الدُّعَاءِ

My Lord, grant me from Yourself a good offspring. Indeed, You are the Hearer of supplication. [Al-Qur’ān, Sūrah Āl `Imrān: 38]

رَبَّنَا وَاجْعَلْنَا مُسْلِمَيْنِ لَكَ وَمِنْ ذُرِّيَّتِنَا أُمَّةً مُسْلِمَةً لَكَ وَأَرِنَا مَنَاسِكَنَا وَتُبْ عَلَيْنَا إِنَّكَ أَنْتَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ

Our Lord! Make us both submissive to You and (raise) from our offspring a nation submitting to You, and show us our ways of devotion and turn to us (mercifully), surely You are the Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful. [Al-Qur’ān, Sūrah Al-Baqarah: 128]

رَبِّ هَبْ لِي مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ

O my Lord! Grant me a righteous (child)! [Al-Qur’ān, Sūrah Al-Sāffāt: 100]

2) The following verse may be recited for ease during labor:[1]

أَوَلَمْ يَرَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَنَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ كَانَتَا رَتْقًا فَفَتَقْنَاهُمَا وَجَعَلْنَا مِنَ الْمَاءِ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ حَيٍّ أَفَلَا يُؤْمِنُونَ

Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were a joined entity, and We separated them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe? [Al-Qur’ān, Sūrah Al-Anbiyā’: 30]

Bilal Mohammad

New Jersey, USA

[1] Remedies from the Holy Qur’ān by Mawlānā Ashraf `Alī Thanwī, p. 25