Convert Scholars and Speakers

Question

Assalamu 'alaikum wa Rehmatullahi wa Barakaatuh !

Firstly I am so glad and satisfied that ulama-e-haqq like you hazraat guide us through each and every theological and worldly matter. Thanks to Almighty Allah. I want to ask about the newly converted muslim speakers like Yusuf Estes, Bilal Philips, Abdur Rahim Green, and the like. I heard much controversial views about them. I saw certain videos on YouTube revealing their faulty 'aqaaid. please guide the Muslim ummah regarding listening to their speeches. Jazakallahu khyran...

Answer

Imam Muhammad ibn Sirin (rahimahullah) advised:

إِنَّ هَذَا الْعِلْمَ دِينٌ، فَانْظُرُوا عَمَّنْ تَأْخُذُونَ دِينَكُمْ

This knowledge is din, so be cautious of from whom you take your din.[1]

The following criteria serve as a guideline in determining a reliable scholar of din:

• He is from the Ahl al-Sunna wa ‘l-Jama‘a in ‘aqida (creed) and fiqh (jurisprudence).
  • He is a graduate of an accepted Islamic institute.
  • He does not violate the laws of shari‘a.
  • His teachings and statements are in accordance with the shari‘a.
  • He does not engage in bid‘a (reprehensible innovation).
  • He is recognized and authorized by righteous learned scholars.

If any of the above guidelines are violated, then one should not follow such a person.

One should also bear in mind that an expert in one field is not necessarily reliable in other fields. For example, a person may be an expert in da‘wa or in comparative religion but unreliable in fiqh and ‘aqida.

And Allah Ta‘ālā Knows Best.

_________

[1]

صحيح مسلم (المقدمة) (١/١٤)

حَدَّثَنَا حَسَنُ بْنُ الرَّبِيعِ، حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ زَيْدٍ، عَنْ أَيُّوبَ، وَهِشَامٍ، عَنْ مُحَمَّدٍ، وَحَدَّثَنَا فُضَيْلٌ، عَنْ هِشَامٍ قَالَ: وَحَدَّثَنَا مَخْلَدُ بْنُ حُسَيْنٍ، عَنْ هِشَامٍ، عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ سِيرِينَ، قَالَ: إِنَّ هَذَا الْعِلْمَ دِينٌ، فَانْظُرُوا عَمَّنْ تَأْخُذُونَ دِينَكُمْ

#33605, #28348