Asked Country: Zimbabwe

Title: Can I wear jeans and tops/ T shirt at home in front of mahrams?

Question

1. Is it permissible for a girl to wear jeans and tops in the house, if there are only mahrams around? Or is it better to wear salvar kameez?
  2. I have been wanting to get married for a while but I have faith in Allah that when it’s the right time I will get married despite the efforts made by my guardians. I never have or will ever talk to any guy as I want to get married the proper Islamic way. However, sometimes I feel impatient, especially when I see my friends engaged or some married. What should I do so that I do not lose hope or become dis-heartened and remain patient?

Answer

Rasulullah ﷺ said;

والحياء شعبة من الإيمان 

صحيح البخاري) Vol 1, Pg 6. المظهرية)

“Hayaa (Modesty) is a branch of Imaan”

(Saheeh Bukhari, Vol 1, Pg 6, Al-Madharia).

It is against shame and modesty for a female to wear jeans and top/ T shirt even in the presence of mahrams. A female should dress modestly even in front of mahrams.

We understand the challenges that come with the need to get married. Your resolve not to talk to a boy and to marry in an Islamic way is correct and praiseworthy. Every person comes with his own taqdeer. Adopt all possible and permissible ways to get married and make dua to Allah to put Barakah in your effort. Never lose patience and don`t despair.

Allah Ta`ala says;

{لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ} [الزمر: 53]

“Do not despair from the mercy of Allah”. (Sura Zumar, Verse 53)

And Allah says;

{وَاسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَاةِ} [البقرة: 45]

“Seek assistance with a patience and salaah”. (Sura Baqara, Verse 45)