Country: Pakistan
Date: 23rd November 2014

Freelance Copywriting

Question

I am a freelance copywriter. one of my clients is a denim company. i did text for their website. there was no use of pictures before but now they have put up pictures of women in denim which defy all the borders of haya. they are launchng a brand now and want me to do the text. even previouslyi just did the text and had no involvement in design. that is totally their call.but the pictures now put upare of somewhat obscene nature and give me doubts about the status of my work. is it permissible? will i be answerable for this on the day of judgement? this is the second time i am posting my question. please advise.

also my mother heard from maulana yousuf ludhianvi that reading surah baqra thrice on water and sprinkling it on the house walls wards of sihr and evils. is it also permissible to spray such water on clothes? body? please advise.

Answer

Writing text for the website or for the brand is permissible.

However, if you are aware that your efforts will be surrounded with impermissible content, for example, obscene pictures, then we advise you to abstain from such association.[1]

However, if you are uncomfortable writing for the company, it is best you abstain.

Hisham Dawood

Chicago, USA 

[1]

وَلَا بَأْسَ بِأَنْ يُؤَاجِرَ الْمُسْلِمُ دَارًا مِنْ الذِّمِّيِّ لِيَسْكُنَهَا فَإِنْ شَرِبَ فِيهَا الْخَمْرَ، أَوْ عَبَدَ فِيهَا الصَّلِيبَ، أَوْ أَدْخَلَ فِيهَا الْخَنَازِيرَ لَمْ يَلْحَقْ الْمُسْلِمَ إثْمٌ فِي شَيْءٍ مِنْ ذَلِكَ؛ لِأَنَّهُ لَمْ يُؤَاجِرْهَا لِذَلِكَ وَالْمَعْصِيَةُ فِي فِعْلِ الْمُسْتَأْجِرِ وَفِعْلُهُ دُونَ قَصْدِ رَبِّ الدَّارِ فَلَا إثْمَ عَلَى رَبِّ الدَّارِ فِي ذَلِكَ (المبسوط للسرخسي ج-١٦ ص-٣٩)

بيع العصير ممن يتخذه خمرا لا يكره عند أبي حنيفة...(الفتاوى الهندية، الباب العشرون بي البياعات المكروهة والأرباح الفاسدة)