Date: 4th November 2014

I used to masturbate as a child and it has become a habit. Will I be sinful and is there a separate ruling for my situation?

Question

by the grace of Allah, I never committed any major sin that my peers were doing(drugs,sex marijuana), I say this only so you understand my nature,not out of pride.

I never chose to start mastubating,it started when I was a baby.I read that this is common amongst babies.and medical society say its normal. I do it aout 3-4 times a month and medically they will say nothing wrong with me so I cant go to rehab.

Now I am very happily married but still addicted to this sin. I keep on thinking if i wasnt born with this habit I woudnt be doing it today.I never actively chose to do this sin, i cant even remember the first time I did it. i know I used to do it at age 2 or 3.But Only at the age of 15 did I know what it actually was. Is the a seperate rulling for my situation? I am sinner for this habit that i didnt do.

Is the a seperate rulling for my situation? I am sinner for this habit that i initiate on my own?
Please help

Answer

We are pleased to hear of your good intentions to refrain from the evil sin of masturbation. This is indeed despicable sins which ruin the life of an individual. You are in the prime of your life. As a teenager, ones desires and passions are at the highest. However, one who controls one’s passions and desires shall surely taste the sweetness of Eemaan.

You state that you never actively chose to commit the sin of masturbation since you began when you were a minor. While this evil habit may have started while you were young, naive and unaware of the evilness and despicability of this sin, you are obligated and committed to follow the obligations of Shariah once you reach the age of puberty. Hence you should make a concerted effort to refrain from this evil sin. You state that medical society states that masturbation is normal whereas various credible medical studies have revealed the serious harms and dangers of masturbation.[1]

Rasullullah (SallallahuAlayhi Wa Sallam) said:

حَدَّثَنَا مُسَدَّدٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، عَنْ عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ، قَالَ: حَدَّثَنِي خُبَيْبُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ، عَنْ حَفْصِ بْنِ عَاصِمٍ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ: " سَبْعَةٌ يُظِلُّهُمُ اللَّهُ تَعَالَى فِي ظِلِّهِ يَوْمَ لاَ ظِلَّ إِلَّا ظِلُّهُ: إِمَامٌ عَدْلٌ، وَشَابٌّ نَشَأَ فِي عِبَادَةِ اللَّهِ، وَرَجُلٌ قَلْبُهُ مُعَلَّقٌ فِي المَسَاجِدِ، وَرَجُلاَنِ تَحَابَّا فِي اللَّهِ، اجْتَمَعَا عَلَيْهِ وَتَفَرَّقَا عَلَيْهِ، وَرَجُلٌ دَعَتْهُ امْرَأَةٌ ذَاتُ مَنْصِبٍ وَجَمَالٍ فَقَالَ: إِنِّي أَخَافُ اللَّهَ، وَرَجُلٌ تَصَدَّقَ بِصَدَقَةٍ فَأَخْفَاهَا حَتَّى لاَ تَعْلَمَ شِمَالُهُ مَا تُنْفِقُ يَمِينُهُ، وَرَجُلٌ ذَكَرَ اللَّهَ خَالِيًا، فَفَاضَتْ عَيْنَاهُ " (صحيح البخاري، ج2 ص111، دار طوق النجاة (مصورة عن السلطانية بإضافة ترقيم ترقيم محمد فؤاد عبد الباقي)

“There will be seven types of people on the Day of Judgment which will be shaded under the A’rsh (throne) of Allah from the intense heat of the sun. One of these seven people will be those youngsters which have spent their entire youth in the worship and obedience of Allah and have refrained from committing sins.”

Refraining from a bad and evil habit requires courage and determination. Make a firm determination and resolve not to commit these evil sins. Will power is the most critical and fundamental aspect in refraining from such evil habits/sins. Develop self-control and discipline within yourself in order to refrain from sins. HadhratMoulana Shah Hakeem AkhtarSaheb (Nawwarallhu Marqadahu) used to advise that “All that is required is determination and courage in refraining from sins”.

You may refer to the following link for further guidance on the issue of masturbation: http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/26717

Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa

[1] http://scholarlyanswers.blogspot.com/2013/01/22-harmful-effects-of-masturbation-in.html