Date: 18th December 2018

Suitable for vegetarian does not necessarily mean halaal

Question

Asalamualaykum,

I want to ask a question regarding food ingredients.

As many of the items I buy from the supermarkets have e-numbers in the ingredients, such as croissants, crisps ( like wotsists, walkers), chocolates, fizzy drinks ( pepsi, rubicon), sweets etc..

Is it necessary to check every single e-number or ingredient on the list of ingredients, or is it permissble to buy the item if the ' suitable for vegetarian' sign is on the item packet or drink. 

I would appreciate your answer on this matter.

Wsalaam.

Answer

Brother in Islaam,

It is of utmost importance that one ensures his food is halaal. One jeopardizes the acceptance of his prayers by eating something doubtful or haraam.

Nevertheless, something that is suitable for vegetarians is not necessarily halaal. There are many ingredients that are haraam but suitable for vegetarians. Accordingly, you should check every ingredient in a food item prior to consuming it.