Country: Canada
Date: 21st October 2014

Seeing a dream in Istikharah

Question

I did Istikhara for my studies. I was studying Biotechnology and I fell ill and could not keep up with my studies. Later on I did Istikhara for me to continue with my studies or not. Every time I see myself with other people in lab. My main problem is in this course there is a lot of Math and my weakness is in Math. In my dreams I keep on seeing myself in lab with other people in lab but in my heart I dont feel inclined towards Biotechnology. My question is whether should I keep on doing Biotechnology or take another route. 

Answer

Istikharah means to seek khair (goodness) from Allah regarding any task in which one is unable to make a correct decision.[1] When one performs Salat-ul-Istikharah, Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala places a feeling of inclination towards a particular side. In Istikharah, it is not necessary that a person will see a dream. Rather, the person will be guided to whatever is best for him. While making Istikharah, also make Mashwara and seek advises from appropriate people.

After performing Istikharah, one should hand over the entire matter to the limitless knowledge of Allah Ta'ala. Only that will happen which Allah Ta'ala wills and which is good for one’s own sake though one may not be able to see it immediately.

In the enquired scenario, after performing Istikharah, you also seek counsel from appropriate people and then decide.

Arshad Ali

Trinidad

http://www.daruliftaa.net/

[1] وندب صلاة الاستخارة" أي طلب ما فيه الخير وهي تكون لأمر في المستقبل ليظهر الله تعالى خير الأمرين (حاشية الطحطاوي على مراقي الفلاح، ص397، دار الكتب العلمية)