Date: 18th December 2018

Wearing of shoes is not gender specific

Question

Assalamua'laikum hazrat. I have a question regarding shoes for women. I know that anything that resembles to opposite sex shouldnt be worn or followed. Now what is the thought on women wearing shoes especially Keds. Although there are keds for women its difficult to say that it doesn't resemble men. Having said that Keds are comfi and very useful for day to day use. Your thought on that will be highly appreciated.

Jazakallah kahyer.

Answer

Sister in Islaam,

The wearing of shoes is not gender specific[1]. Shoes are worn by both, males and females. Yes, those that are designed specifically for males should only be worn by males and vice-versa. Those shoes that are unisex may be worn by both genders.

[1] عقود رسم المفتي

والعرف في الشرع له اعتبار *** لذا عليه الحكم قد يدار

الأشباه والنظائر (القاعدة السادسة)

العادة محكمة