Country: Saudi Arabia
Date: 21st January 2019

Will I become Kafir because of my friends action?

Question

Please help me..one of my friend, committed very major sin by uttering some words that puts a person beyond islam .but he didnt notice himself and he didnt repented when this thing happened.. because he was not aware that these words make a person kafir.Now after few month even  i came to know that these words make a person kafir ..But now after few month i have stopped talking to him because we had some problems in friendship and he is no longer my friend.We just stopped contacting each other.So will i become a kafir myself because i didn't remind him to repent and say shahada?

Answer

Dear Brother,

What were those words that you learned that made your friend a kafir?

Nevertheless, kufr is more serious than the friendship problems. You should restore relationship with your friend for the sake of his Iman. Win his confidence and advise him on the issue.

While you will not lose your Iman for not advising your friend, your silence is indeed against the spirit of Iman and against the spirit of true friendship.

Tareque Ahmed