Asked Country: United Arab Emirates

Title: Is it disrespectful to listen to the Quran from speakers that are next to the feet?

Question

ASSLAMU ALAIKUM
SIR ... WHEN WE DRIVE THE CAR AND LISTEN THE QURAN IN RADIO  OR IN CD THAT TIME SPEAKER NEAR MY FEET SOME TIME MY FEET TOUCH THE SPEAKER I FEEL ITS NOT GOOD ITS NOT RESPECT BECAUSE THE QURAN VOICE COMING FROM THE SPEAKER AND MY FEET TOUCHING THE SPEAKER IF I CARE AND TRY TO DON'T TOUCH BUT ALSO I FEEL ITS NOT RESPECT BECAUSE MY FEET NEAR THE SPEAKER MY SHOES NEAR THE SPEAKER TELL MY WHAT I DO...

Answer

Dear Brother,

Listening to the Quran is a very rewarding action. It is stated in a hadith:

عَنْ أَبِي سَعِيدٍ الْخُدْرِيِّ، قَالَ: جَلَسْتُ فِي عِصَابَةٍ مِنْ ضُعَفَاءِ الْمُهَاجِرِينَ وَإِنَّ بَعْضَهُمْ لَيَسْتَتِرُ بِبَعْضٍ مِنَ العُرْيِ، وَقَارِئٌ يَقْرَأُ عَلَيْنَا إِذْ جَاءَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فَقَامَ عَلَيْنَا، فَلَمَّا قَامَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ سَكَتَ الْقَارِئُ، فَسَلَّمَ، ثُمَّ قَالَ: «مَا كُنْتُمْ تَصْنَعُونَ؟» قُلْنَا: يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ، إِنَّهُ كَانَ قَارِئٌ لَنَا يَقْرَأُ عَلَيْنَا، فَكُنَّا نَسْتَمِعُ إِلَى كِتَابِ اللَّهِ، قَالَ: فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي جَعَلَ مِنْ أُمَّتِي مَنْ أُمِرْتُ أَنْ أَصْبِرَ نَفْسِي مَعَهُمْ» قَالَ: فَجَلَسَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ وَسْطَنَا لِيَعْدِلَ بِنَفْسِهِ فِينَا، ثُمَّ قَالَ: بِيَدِهِ هَكَذَا، فَتَحَلَّقُوا وَبَرَزَتْ وُجُوهُهُمْ، لَهُ قَالَ: فَمَا رَأَيْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ عَرَفَ مِنْهُمْ أَحَدًا غَيْرِي، فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «أَبْشِرُوا يَا مَعْشَرَ صَعَالِيكِ الْمُهَاجِرِينَ بِالنُّورِ التَّامِّ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ، تَدْخُلُونَ الْجَنَّةَ قَبْلَ أَغْنِيَاءِ النَّاسِ بِنِصْفِ يَوْمٍ وَذَاكَ خَمْسُ مِائَةِ سَنَةٍ"

Translation: Abu Saeed al-Khudri Radhyallahu Anhu narrated “I was sitting in the company of the poor members of the emigrants. Some of them were sitting together because of lack of clothing while a reader was reciting to us. All of a sudden, the Rasulullah () came along and stood beside us. When Rasulullah () stood, the reader stopped and greeted him. He asked: What were you doing? We said: Messenger of Allah! We had a reader who was reciting to us and we were listening to the Book of Allah, the Exalted. The Messenger of Allah () then said: Praise be to Allah Who has put among my people those with whom I have been ordered to stay. The Messenger of Allah () then sat among us so as to be like one of us, and when he had made a sign with his hand they sat in a circle with their faces turned towards him. The narrator said: I think that the Messenger of Allah () did not recognize any of them except me. The Messenger of Allah () then said: Rejoice, you group of poor emigrants, in the announcement that you will have perfect light on the Day of Resurrection. You will enter Paradise half a day before the rich, and that is five hundred years”. Sunan Abu Dawud [3666]

If the speakers of a car are right next to the feet, then one should try to listen to the Quran with other speakers. One should avoid listening to the Quran when the speakers are right next to the feet as it is a form of disrespect towards the Holy Quran.  

Tareque Ahmed