Asked Country: United Arab Emirates

Title: Are the children responsible to pay off father’s medical bill?

Question

Asalam-u-Alikum, My father was recently shifted to USA, he was working there on store as sales man and earning USD 1500 Per month, He dont have free medical facility there, He went in emergency, got heart surgery after 4 days he Died (May his soul rest in peace) now hospital bills are in high amount who is responsible to pay bills, Back in home country my father owns a house but my unmarried sister n brothers are living there, please guide what we should do, is this burden on my late father or on his children.

Answer

Dear Brother,

We pray that Allah Ta’ala grant your father the highest abodes in Jannatul Firdaus.

When a person passes away, his debts must be paid from his estate after burial expenses. If your father had a house, that should be sold to pay the medical expenses. If the family experiences difficulty in selling the house, consider discussing the financial difficulties with the hospital where your father received treatment and request for relief from the debt.

Tareque Ahmed

_____________________________

السراجي في الميراث (ص5-8) مكتبة البشرى

قال علماءنا رحمه الله تتعلق بتركة الميت حقوق اربعة مرتبة الاول بتكفينه و تجهيزه من غير تبذير و لا تفتير ثم تقضى ديونه من جميع ما بقي من ماله ثم تنفذ من وصاياه من ثلث ما بقي بعد الدين ثم يقسم الباقي بين ورثته