Title: Assistance Calculating Zakat

Question

Slms

Need assistance in calculating Zakaat.

In terms of the Nisaab amount both my wife and I have exceeded this value

However what I would like to know if we are liable to pay Zakaat as we still have an outstanding balance on our bond and vehicle.

This balance exceeds our investments, cash on hand as well as jewellery value.

Eg:
Cash on Hand R50 000
Investments R400 000
Jewellery R16 800

Bond R1 100 000 (Monthly Instalment R11 000)
Vehicle R87 000 (R1960)

Answer

Dear Brother,

Every individual should calculate his/her zakat separately. You have referred to you and your wife. You should calculate your zakat based on your assets and liability. Your wife should do the same. You cannot combine the assets and liabilities of both, the husband and wife and calculate the zakat.

Tareque Ahmed

__________________________

الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (2/ 261)

وَقَدْ عَلَّلُوا سُقُوطَ الزَّكَاةِ بِالدَّيْنِ بِأَنَّ الْمَدْيُونَ مُحْتَاجٌ إلَى هَذَا الْمَالِ حَاجَةً أَصْلِيَّةً لِأَنَّ قَضَاءَ الدَّيْنِ مِنْ الْحَوَائِجِ الْأَصْلِيَّةِ وَالْمَالُ الْمُحْتَاجُ إلَيْهِ حَاجَةً أَصْلِيَّةً لَا يَكُونُ مَالَ الزَّكَاةِ تَأَمَّلْ