Date: 8th December 2018

Is this contract Shariah compliant?

Question

Assalamu Alaikum

I work for a feed company as a manager. the company recently wanted to Open another shop in a neighbouring town. however they offered me the ffg proposal:

I should open the business in my personal capacity and should buy the goods from them at 6% reduction in price. I will then mark up not more than 8%. however they will pay the rent for the shop.I will bear all other expenses. also 1 can only stock their feed (like an agent) but 1 can stock other products that they do not manufacture.

Is this contract fine to go into? jazakallah

Answer

It is advisable for you to pay your own rent. The company may facilitate the rental by selling you the feed at an even cheaper rate, for example 5% reduction instead of 6%. The mutual agreement falls in a category of a promise. You will be morally bound to abide by the promise.[1]

_________

[1]{وَأَوْفُوا بِالْعَهْدِ إِنَّ الْعَهْدَ كَانَ مَسْئُولًا} [الإسراء: 34]