Date: 8th June 2014

Is it permissible to provide Short Term Consultancy services to the World Bank Group?

Question

I am a graduate level student of Economics. I wanted to ask if it Is permissible to provide Short Term Consultancy services to the World Bank Group. The project requires us to formulate a report on “Political Economy Assessment of a Province”. I have been selected from my University and the World Bank usually outsources such projects to individuals, research organizations and Universities. We will be working under the World Bank's South Asia Region Governance and Public Sector Unit (SASGP) . Partner funding agency for the project is the European Commission. 

Answer

The project in reference requires you to merely prepare s report on the political economy assessment of a province. It is permissible for you to do so and the income derived from such a job will be Halal and permissible.

Ismail Desai  

South Africa