Working as an accountant at a casino

Question

Selamu Alejkum, I've been offered a job at a Casino.The position is in the Accounting deparment and my job would be to help the Casino complete the monthy finanical reports. I want to know if I take this job, will the money that I'll be making be haram?

I know gambling is haram and forbidden, but since I won't be gambling or dealing cards or serving other people direclty to commit a sin, will I be commiting a sin indireclty? Jazak Allah Khajr.

Answer

Brother in Islaam,

Your desire to earn a Halaal income is praiseworthy. May Allaah Ta’aala grant you barakah in all your permissible endeavors. Aameen.

A Muslim resents places of evil and sin. A casino is a den for engaging in various abhorred sins such as gambling. Accordingly, it is not appropriate for a Muslim to be in such an environment[1].

The income from such a job in such an evil environment would be contaminated; hence, makrooh.

[1] امداد الاحكام (4/ 386)

Contemporary Fatawaa by Mufti Taqi ‘Uthmani (pg. 161)