Date: 21st April 2001

Can you perform salaat Salaat wearing eyeliner (worn on eyelid) & mascara. I am a Hanafi married to a Shafie. My husband says that I could carry on following the Hanafi Mathhab. Is this fine?

Question

1) Does walking outside bareheaded invalidate wudhu if no ghair mahram sees you. 2) After ghusl does washing napaak clothing, bedding etc invalidate ghusl or wudhu? 3) I am a Hanafi married to a Shafie. My husband says that I could carry on following the Hanafi Mathhab. Is this fine? 4) Are you allowed to eat or drink when you are in need of a gusl bath. 5) If I walk barefoot on tiles does it invalidate wudhu?

Answer

Respected Sister-in-Islam%0D%0A%0D%0AAssalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuhu%0D%0A%0D%0A1. If the 'eyeliner' and 'Mascara' do not have impure ingredients in them,%0D%0Athe Salaat performed with it will be valid. However, if the 'Mascara' is%0D%0Amade up from substances that prevent the water reaching the eyelashes during%0D%0AWudhu, then the Wudhu will not be valid. (Maraaqiul Falaah pg.56). Washing%0D%0Athe face in Wudhu is the same as in Ghusl.%0D%0A2. Being bareheaded does not invalidate the Wudhu. However, a woman should%0D%0Akeep her hair covered at all times as the angels of mercy feel ashamed to%0D%0Aenter that home where a woman is bareheaded. (Siratul Mustafa vol.1 pg.142;%0D%0ADarul Kutub Deoband)%0D%0A3. Washing impure clothes after Wudhu or Ghusl does not invalidate the Wudhu%0D%0Aor Ghusl.%0D%0A4. A wife may follow her Madhab which is different from the Madhab followed by her husband.%0D%0A5. It is advisable to wash the hands and mouth before eating. (Maraaiqul%0D%0AFalaah pg.47)%0D%0A%0D%0Aand Allah Ta'ala Knows Best%0D%0A%0D%0AMufti Ebrahim Desai%0D%0AFATWA DEPT.%0D%0A