Answered Date: Nov 30,-0001

Title: Taqlīd and Concentration is Salâh

Question

I have read Mufti taqi usmani db book on legal status of taqlīd

What I have understood ts that taqlīd is on those issues which are no clear. Eg ghibat jhoot etc are clear orders for this there is no taqlīd.

Please clear my misunderstanding. As scalah in hadtih is clearly more than one way. Eg reciting Fatiha in siri prayers or not. As both are correct that is y some imam are mnin favour of reciting behind imam. And some are against. As ih ave heard from ulema ot it’s case of afzal and ghair afzal.

My misunderstanding is that both.ways are clear in Aḥādīth and practices of sahabah. So y their its taqlīd in this issue to follow imam. As both ways are correct.

2. second question is too retain concentration in Salâh. And avoid waswasah can I recite sūrah fatihah behind imam in silent prayers. (Only for mentioned intention)as reciting in heart only and not by tongue does not help retaining concentration.

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

The two questions you have asked are respectively responded to below.

1. It is Wājib (necessary) upon a person to make Taqlīd of his Imām of Fiqh only in those issues which require research. They are those issues for which different rulings can be deduced from the corpus of Ḥadīth and Qurān. For instance, lifting the hands whilst saying the takbīr when going from one posture to a different posture in Salâh. There are substantiations from the Ahadith that one should do so and there are substantiations to the contrary. Likewise the placement of the hands in Salāh, there are substantiations one should place the hands below the navel and there are other substantiations to the contrary. As such, a person is required to choose between one of them. The problem does not lie with the clarity of the substantiations on any of the sides. The problem lies in determining the correct view amongst them. Because this requires vast knowledge and a superior intellect, as Hanafi’s we therefore refer these issues to Imām Abu Hanīfa Rahmatullahi ‘Alayh. This is the meaning of Taqlīd and the clarification to your misunderstanding. But issues can get more intricate than that, such as a case where substantiations are found that show the action being necessary on the one hand, and being prohibited on the other hand. An example is that of reciting sūrah Fātihah behind the Imām. There are Aḥādīth that say that it is necessary to do so. There are also Ahadith that state it is not allowed to do so. A ruling has to be made out of one of the two. Because we all fear Allāh, we therefore refer the matter to our Imām of fiqh, Imām Abu Hanīfa Rahmatullahi ‘Alayh, so that on the Day of Judgement, we will not be answerable for if we practiced on the incorrect view and therefore we make Taqlīd of whatever conclusion he came to. Similarly, a follower of Imām Shāfi’ Rahmatullahi ‘Alayh, will follow the Shafi’ School of thought and abide by the conclusions of Imām Shāfi’ Rahmatullahi ‘Alayh.
  2. It is not allowed to recite any Sūrah behind the Imām in any circumstance. As far as the requirement of concentration is concerned, other ways will have to be adopted to acquire this concentration. Regard your mind as a highway, in which thoughts come and go away. There is no need to fight them. Just accept them and let them go by. For thoughts to pass by in your head is only human and is not contrary to concentration in Salāh. Whenever you think of something else, just affirm to yourself in your thoughts the current position in Salāh, such as: “I am in ruku now. I am standing in Salâh now.” In the case you are reciting Salâh behind the Imām then concentrate on the recitation of the Imām. Follow his reading carefully. If you find your thoughts to be straying in an inaudible Salâh then recite Allah, Allah in your mind.

Khalil Johnson

Student DarulIftaa
Canada