Title: Can I keep my daughter's name Alishba Daneen?

Question

As Salam Alay Kum.

I named my daughter; Alishba Daneen. She is now 6 months old
I found this name in internet Alishba: Beautiful  and Daneen : Princess

Everyone agreed when I suggested this name. And Aqeeqa has been done on the 7th day  with this name.

One of my Alim friend told that this doesn't seem to be any arabic name.

Please suggest if this is a acceptable name and we can keep it.  And if not do we have to do Aqeeqa again if we change the name.

JazakAllah

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

Elisheba (/əˈlɪʃɨbə/; אֱלִישֶׁבַע in Hebrew) is a word of Hebrew origins mentioned in the Hebrew Bible as the wife of Haaron(Alayhis Salaam). In Hebrew names, Eli means "my God" and Sheba means "oath", so Eli-sheba is oath of my God or "God is her oath" ("Sheba" is also the cardinal number seven in Hebrew.)The English name 'Elizabeth' is derived from Elisheba.[1]

According to certain websites, the word “Daneen” is an Arabic word meaning “Princess”. Moreover, others have stated that the word “Daneen” is of Hebrew origin meaning “God is my judge and feminine form of Daniel”.[2] However, the word “Daneen” is an Arabic word which means “Buzzing/humming of bees”.[3]

It is permissible for one to keep the name “AlishbaDaneen”. However, it is not advisable for one to keep such a name. We advise that the names of the Anbiyaa, Sahaba and pious elders be kept. With regards to Aqeeqa, there is no need to repeat the Aqeeqah since it is valid.

Mufti Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisheba, last accessed at 18/09/2013.

صوت الذباب و الزنابير، و هينمة الكلام، كالدنين و الدندن (القاموس المحيط، ص 451)[3]