Can a father and son follow different Madhahib?

Question

My father's grandfather came from yemen to india. he used to follow shafai maslak my father and mother follow shafai maslak.in our city there is no shafai masjid or madarsa.most of the people of the city follow hanafi maslak.i also follow hanafi maslak.my father knows that i follow hanafi maslak but he has no objection.according shariat can father and son follow different maslak.

Answer

It is important to understand that all four Madhahib (schools of thought) are on Haqq (the truth). If any individual adheres sincerely to any of the four Madhahib (Hanafi, Shafi’i, Maliki, and Hanbali), he will be following the right path.

A father and son may follow different Madhahib if they wish to do so.

Abdullah Syed Sajid

Houston, TX, USA