Title: Zakaat on rental income

Question

I own a property although that is rented and the rent which js suppose to be my income doesnot come to me and infact is recived by my relatives back home. Do i still need to pay zakat on the amount recieved ?

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

Your question is unclear. Kindly submit the following information in order for us to issue a ruling.

In what capacity do your relatives receive the rental money, as your Wakeel (agent) or is it given to them as a gift?

Kindly email the information to the following email address: admin@daruliftaa.net

Mufti Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa