Date: 24th December 2018

Will i be sinful for not feeding my aunt?

Question

Assalamalykum

I am living as tenant with my husband in my Khala's house on ground floor. Now Khala has started construction of the first floor.  So my Khala and Khalu started living with me. It has been four month since they are living with me although they have a furnished room on first floor where they can stay. I asked thwm to move there. But they don't go.

I cooked food for them for two months. Their diet is also triple of mine. i bare all expenses for their fooding. Now i am fed up with serving them. They are disturbing my life. I have stopped feefing them. But i feel bad for this.

I want to ask whether it is fardh on me to feed them. Will i bw gunahgaar for not feeding them. 

I am paying rent regularly.

Answer

Sister in Islaam,

We commend you for entertaining your aunt and her husband. Your reward is with Allaah Ta’aala. Nevertheless, it is not your responsibility to feed and accommodate your aunt. You will not be sinful for not feeding them and accommodating them. It is unfortunate that they are charging you rent while they reside with you and eat from your food.

You may propose to your aunt that you will not pay rent as long as they stay with you. We hope this proposal will change the situation.