Asked Country: Bangladesh

Answered Date: Jun 03,2013

Title: Travelling for Hajj without Mahram

Question

Assalamu Alaikum,

I am ...(female) and ... years old living with my mother and sister. My father passed away long ago. I am working in a good Organization AlhumduliAllah. I have a wish to take my mother for hazz and also including me to go for hazz (if Allah permits, but with my own financing though my family is solvent. As we have no male guardian, can we go for Hazz with the Hazz team arranged by the local non-govt Hazz committess which is really safe and giving regular service every year to people? I have really erg and niyat in mind to perform hazz with mother and move toward Islam fundamentally after it In Sha Allah. Please reply.

Allah Hafiz

Answer

According to the Hanafi Mazhab (School of Thought), it is not permissible for a woman to travel without a Mahram.[1]

Rasullullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said:

لا تحجن امرأة الا و معها محرم

“A woman should not proceed for Hajj except with her Mahram”[2].

Your Mahram could be your paternal uncle or maternal uncle. If no Mahram is available, you should make Sabr until Allah grants you a suitable husband who could be a Mahram for you and your mother.

Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa

1و المحرم في حق المرأة شرط، شابة أو عجوزا اذا كانت بينها و بين مكة مسيرة ثلاثة أيام ( الفتاوي التاتارخانىة، ج 2، ص 434، ادارة)

و مع زوج أو محرم (تنوير الأبصار و جامع البحار، ج 2، ص 464، ايج ايم سعيد)

3 المرجع السابق