Answered Date: May 25,2013

Title: Is this considered a vow to Allah?

Question

My husband was unemployed for almost two years but i had employment and therefore i made dua to Allah that if my husband gets a job i will quit my job and alhumdulila now my husband has got a job but his job could not cover our household bills and i earn more then him so do i still have to fullfill that dua that i made or am i sining by not quiting my job now...i just made that statement i dont know if its considerd as a vow to Allah or not if so what is the kaffara for breaking an oath?

Answer

If you merely made Du’aa to Allah that if your husband gets a job, you will leave your job, that is not a vow. If you continue working due to your husband not being able to fulfill your basic needs, then you will be excused and you will not be sinful.

Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa