Asked Country: United Arab Emirates

Title: Can I keep my daughter's name Ajwa Omar?

Question

Can i keep  my daughter name as "AJWA OMAR " as my name is omarfarook. kindly please give me your suggetion as i heard that we were called by our names in qyamath day. 

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

Nabi (salallāhu ‘alayhiwasallam) said regarding the keeping of good names: “Indeed you shall be called on the day of Qiyaamah with your names and the names of your fathers, so give good names to yourselves”.[1]

It is advisable for one to keep names of the Anbiyaa, Sahabah, Taabi’een and pious predecessors.

The word “Ajwa” is an Arabic word which refers to a specific type of Dates grown in MadeenahMunawarrah.[2] It is permissible to keep the name “Ajwa Omar”.

Mufti Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa

[1]Abu Dawood, 4948. Ahmed, 5/194

الاصل جواز التسمية باي اسم الا بما ورد النهي عنه مما سياتي.331/11.الموسوعة الفقهية الكويتية.ادارة الشؤن الاسلامية بكويت.

قال الجوهري: العجوة ضرب من اجود التمر بالمدينة (لسان العرب، ج 6، ص 115)[2]