Country: Australia
Date: 1st April 2019

How can one keep the house blessed after parents move to another house?

Question

Asalamu Alaikum Warahmatu Lahi Wabarakatu, Dear brother, My parents will be re-locating overseas and therefore will not be home with me. My question is how do I ensure that this home stays blessed after their departure. I don't know if this is true according to islam but I can feel and see their presence brings blessings. Food is plentiful, the home is in good order, plants provide fruit, there is happiness in the home etc... Any bits of advice would be much appreciated. Salamau alaikum.

Answer

Indeed parents are a great blessing. Allah Ta`ala has instructed us in the Qur`an to be kind with them. Allah says;

{وَاعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ وَلَا تُشْرِكُوا بِهِ شَيْئًا وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا} [النساء: 36]

Translation; “Worship Allah, do not ascribe partners to him and treat the parents with kindness”. (Suratun Nisaa, Verse 36).

Even after your parents leave you should keep contact with them and take their duas. Do such things that will please them.