Asked Country: Oman

Title: Question on Safar according to the Shāfī Madhab

Question

Assalamu Alaikum

If I am travelling more than 82 kms from my home town and I am settling there for job purpose in a particular place for more than 3 days (35 days) and even in the place where I go for job, I travel for 15-20 kms from my room to my office.

So should I pray Kasar or regular Namaaz.

Note: I belong to Imam Shaafi.

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

As-salāmu ʿalaykum wa-raḥmatullāhi wa-barakātuh

The following answer is according to the Shāfī Madhab:

·        If you intend settling for four days or more at the place you are travelling to for the purpose of a job, you will have to make full Ṣalāh at your destination. You have mentioned that you intend settling there for 35 days. Therefore, you will have to perform complete Ṣalāh (i.e. the regular Ṣalāh, not Qaṣr) while you are there.[1]

·        However, you have the choice of making Qaṣr and Jamʿ (combining between Ẓuhr and ʿAsr; and Maghrib and ʿIshāʾ) while you are travelling towards your destination and returning home from your destination.[2]

·        While travelling from your room to your office and back, and while you are at your office, you will have to perform complete Ṣalāh (i.e. the regular Ṣalāh, not Qaṣr).[3]

And Allah Taʿālā Knows Best

Mahmood Patel (in consultation with Sheikh Taha Karaan)
Azaadville, South Africa

Checked and Approved by

[1] ثمَّ إذا انتهى السفرُ أتمَّ، وينتهي بوصولهِ إلى وطنهِ، أوْ بنيةِ إقامةِ أربعةِ أيامٍ غيرَ يوميِ الدخولِ والخروجِ. (عمدة السالك وعدة الناسك (ص: 76))

[2] انْقَطَعَ سَفَرُهُ بِوُصُولِهِ. (منهاج الطالبين (ص: 44))

[3] أَحَدُهَا سَفَرٌ طَوِيلٌ وَ (طَوِيلُ السَّفَرِ ثَمَانِيَةٌ وَأَرْبَعُونَ مِيلًا) ذَهَابًا فَقَطْ. (نهاية المحتاج إلى شرح المنهاج (2/ 257))

(فَرْعٌ) يُشْتَرَطُ فِي كَوْنِ السَّفَرِ مَرْحَلَتَيْنِ أَنْ يَكُونَ بَيْنَهُ وَبَيْنَ الْمَقْصِدِ مَرْحَلَتَانِ فَلَوْ قَصَدَ مَوْضِعًا بَيْنَهُ وَبَيْنَهُ مَرْحَلَةٌ بِنِيَّةِ أَنْ لَا يُقِيمَ فِيهِ لَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ الْقَصْرُ لَا ذَاهِبًا وَلَا رَاجِعًا وَإِنْ كَانَ لَهُ مَشَقَّةُ مَرْحَلَتَيْنِ مُتَوَالِيَتَيْنِ لِأَنَّهُ لَا يُسَمَّى سَفَرًا طَوِيلًا وَحَكَى الرَّافِعِيُّ أَنَّ الْحَنَّاطِيَّ حَكَى وَجْهًا أَنَّهُ يَقْصُرُ وَالصَّوَابُ الْأَوَّلُ وَبِهِ قَطَعَ الْأَصْحَابُ وَاَللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ. (المجموع شرح المهذب (4/ 324))

فَلَوْ قَصَدَ مَكَانًا عَلَى مَرْحَلَةٍ بِنِيَّةِ أَنْ لَا يُقِيمَ فِيهِ فَلَا قَصْرَ لَهُ ذَهَابًا وَلَا إيَابًا وَإِنْ نَالَتْهُ مَشَقَّةُ مَرْحَلَتَيْنِ مُتَوَالِيَتَيْنِ. (أسنى المطالب في شرح روض الطالب (1/ 238))