Title: I suspect my wife and her family

Question

i belive that my wife may have been unfaithful ,i have no proof yet or witnesses but her behavior has changed after several hours of time were spent at two niebouring houses.i also belive that she may have been blackmailed forced or convinced to help protect her family and me from them as they are visit here and may threaten children or me.also their behavoir is odd.

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

As-salāmu ʿalaykum wa-raḥmatullāhi wa-barakātuh

Your query is vague. Nevertheless, we will advise you according to the general understanding we get from your question.

You should avoid suspicion with regards to your wife and her family. Allah Taʿālā says:

«يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اجْتَنِبُوا كَثِيرًا مِنَ الظَّنِّ» [الحجرات: 12][1]

Oh you who believe, refrain from many a suspicion. (Ḥujurāt, v. 12)

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Hurairah Raḍi Allāhu ʿanhu:

أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ: «إِيَّاكُمْ وَالظَّنَّ، فَإِنَّ الظَّنَّ أَكْذَبُ الحَدِيثِ...» [صحيح البخاري (6066)]

The Messenger of Allah Ṣallallāhu ʿalaihi wa Sallam said: “Refrain from suspicion, for indeed suspicion is the most false of all that which the heart thinks of.” (Bukhāri, no. 6066)

Therefore, cast away all suspicion and verify the doubts you have by asking your wife why her behaviour has changed and why the behaviour of her family is odd. Thereafter, if you require further advice or a ruling, you may submit a query and we will try to assist you. If you are unable to fluently detail your question in the English language, you may express yourself in Urdu or Arabic.

And Allah Taʿālā Knows Best

Mahmood Patel
Azaadville, South Africa

Checked and Approved by

Clarification

The Darul Iftaa has received queries regarding Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb’s teaching and affiliation with Madrassah In’aamiyya, Camperdown. The confusion is probably due to the previous Fatawaa and Google searches of Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb issued under the name of Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah, Camperdown.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb has resigned from Madrassah In’aamiyya two years ago and has no affiliation with Madrassah In’aamiyya, Camperdown.

Mufti Saheb has established the Darul Iftaa in Durban that facilitates for post-Ulama courses and training Mufti’s. He teaches Hadeeth at Darul Uloom Nu’maniyyah.

Email: darululoomnumaniyyah@gmail.com or

arkhanar@telkomsa.net

[1] إِنَّ بَعْضَ الظَّنِّ إِثْمٌ يعني: معصية أي: إِنَّ ظن السوء بالمسلم معصية. وقال سفيان الثوري: الظن ظنان: ظن فيه إثم، وظن لا إثم فيه، فالظن الذي فيه إثم، أن يظن ويتكلم به، وأما الظن الذي لا إثم فيه، فهو أن يظن، ولا يتكلم به، لأنه قال: إِنَّ بَعْضَ الظَّنِّ إِثْمٌ ولم يقل: جميع الظن إثم. (تفسير السمرقندي (3/ 328))