Title: Expressing the thought of marrying one’s wife’s sister

Question

My question is that I recently was driving and talking to my wife but suddenly a thought of question appeared in my head about my wife's sister. (Which she is having marital problems) I had said in a jokingly way I just said what if I could married her then what would happen. Please explain fully, I know Thank you.

Answer

As-salāmu ʿalaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

·        Your statement expressing the thought of marrying your wife’s sister does not constitute a divorce. Your wife is still in your Nikāḥ.

·        While a person’s wife is still in his Nikāḥ, it is not allowed for him to marry her sister. Therefore, you should not even entertain the thought of marrying your wife’s sister while your wife is in your Nikāḥ.

·        You should refrain from expressing the thought of marrying your wife’s sister as this is disrespectful to your wife and may hurt her feelings.

And Allah Ta’ālā Knows Best

Mahmood Patel
Azaadville, South Africa

Checked and Approved by