Title: Shaving beard for sister's marriage

Question

Assalamualaikum,

I just turned 13 and my sister is getting married next week. I have an extremely small beard, which I can only see if I go very close in the mirror. It is not visible. It's probably 1 inch long when I pull it. My sister wanted me to shave it so it could grow fresh and good. She said if I didn't shave it once, it would grow thin and unequal. Am I allowed to do this before her wedding? Also, she wants me to shave my moustache, but my teacher told me that it would grow very thick and fast if I shaved it. Should I do this? Please reccomend the best for my in Islam, since I am a Hafiz and want to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah in everything I do.

JazakallahuKhairun,

May Allah reward you for your efforts.

Answer

You are a Hafiz of the Quran. Allah Ta’ala has chosen your tongue and heart to preserve His words. You are indeed very fortunate. Appreciate this favor of Allah. Allah is pure. His words are also pure. The heart in which the Quran is being preserved should also be pure from all form of sins. We are pleased to know you desire Sunnah in everything you do, Alhamdulillah.

The beard is a great Sunnah of Rasulullah Sallallāhu Alayhi Wasallam and all other prophets. Rasulullah Sallallāhu Alayhi Wasallam would turn his face away from one who would shave his beard. You should never remove your beard even though it is very small. If you remove it, it will be a sin. The excuse that the beard will grow better after its shaved is baseless. Your sister is getting married and fulfilling one Sunnah. It is senseless that while performing one Sunnah, another Sunnah is being broken. How will Allah’s mercy descend on such a wedding? Would you prefer having a beard and Allah looking at you with mercy or removing your beard and your sister admires you during her wedding while Allah is displeased with you?

You may shorten your moustache. That is permissible.