Asked Country: Bangladesh

Title: The concept of Taweedh al-Talaak.

Question

Assalamualikum. I wanted to know about Divorce and Mahr in Islamic perspective. My wife send me a notice mentioning that she divorce her own fate as she is unable to continue the relationship with me due to lack of understanding. I tried my best by myself along with my family members to get her back my house and assured to keep her as she wants but it was not possible for me. Few day back she send the notice addressing local city corporation. My question is whether the divorce is executed or not because I did not get any call from city corporation. Is a woman can divorce a man in Islam? In my nikahnama I can see there is a option for wife to give divorce if her husband is unable to continue her food,cloting etc. My last query, in that case should I give the Mahr though she has the gold what was given in the marriage.

Answer

You state that in your Nikaahnamah (Nikaah certificate), the wife has an option to divorce her husband. In order for us to determine the validity of her exercising the right of divorce given to her, kindly forward the copy of her Nikaah certificate to us if it is in English. If it is in your local language, translate the actual statement of Tafweedh al-Talaak (Autonomy of Talaak) and forward it to us.

It is advisable that you refer your issue to a local Mufti who is known by the Ulama for his competence for a Fatwaa.[1]

Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa

الحيلة الناجزة للشيخ اشرف علي التهانوي (ص 19- 28، الاشاعة)[1]