Title: Can Zakāt be given to people who visit dargās?

Question

Can we give zakat to the people who
visit dargas?

Assalamu alaikum mufti saheb. I have
one doubt regarding to whom zakat can be given. I guess, we can give
zakat to poor people who are muslims and who have tendancy to accept
islam. Can we give zakat to the people who visit dargas?In India
there are some people who visit dargas. I guess, Dargas are the
graves of walis.I guess, some of them visit the grave of wali and
treat wali as GOD and pray to him. I guess , some others do not treat
wali as GOD but they say these walis are the mediators between ALLAH
and them. They feel ALLAH loves walis very much and walis can
recommend to ALLAH about these peoples' wishes. Some other poeple
visit dargas but they do not pray walis , they make dua to ALLAH
only. Some poeple believe that these walis had some powers when they
were alive. Can we give zakat to the above four catogories of the
people, if they are poor.

Answer

As-salāmu ʿalaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Zakāt can be given to a Muslim who visits dargās (shrines of Muslim saints) on condition that the person is deserving of Zakāt, except in the case where you are certain or have an overwhelming feeling that the person makes Duā (prays) to the Walī (i.e. he believes that the Walī is the one who answers his Duā and can grant his wishes). In such a case it is not correct to give Zakāt to such a person, even if he is poor.[1]

And Allah Ta’ālā Knows Best

Mahmood Patel
Azaadville, South Africa

Checked and Approved by

[1] إمداد الأحكام (1/113)

إمداد الفتاوى (6/312)

إمداد الأحكام (1/133)

يجب أن يعلم بأن العمل بغالب الرأي جائز في باب الديانات وفي باب المعاملات. (الفتاوى التاتارخانية، 18/34)