Asked Country: Canada

Title: I want to get closer to Allah. What should I do?

Question

Assalamu Alaikum Akhi, I currently reside in Canada, I am 15 years old. I yearn and have a deep passion of one day inshallah becoming an Alim, following the footsteps of my father inshallah. I have committed so much sin in the past, and sometimes I feel as though Allah is so displeased in me as his slave. I want to become closer to Allah, so that I can achieve a high spiritual status inshallah. I yearn to be among Allah's selected servants, to become a Wali of Allah. Please help me on how I can do so. I want to have so much love for Allah, that when I am sleeping my heart should be saying zikr, "Allah,Allah". My father always used to tell me, "Make Dua that Allah makes it easy for you to become one of his selected servants. Do not worship this Dunyaa, because when Allah is pleased with you, inshallah everyone around you will". Please help me and advise me on how I can do this. Jazaakallah Khairan.

Answer

We are delighted to hear about your passionate desire to attain the proximity of Allah Ta’ala.  We make Dua that Allah Ta’ala grant you His love. Amin.

You have stated that you have committed sins in the past and you feel as though Allah is displeased with you as a slave. 

Firstly repent for whatever mistakes you have made in life and make a strong amendment not to return to those sins again. Refraining from sins is the prescription towards becoming the Wali of Allah. You are still young and Allah Ta’ala greatly appreciates the repentance of a youngster. Thereafter, have conviction that Allah Ta’ala has pardoned you and loves you.  Never be despondent of the love and mercy of Allah Ta’ala.  Allah Ta’ala says in the Quran that He loves those who repent and turn to Him.      

Always try to keep good company.  Stay away from friends that may influence you towards evil and vice.  The company of those who have good habits and traits will rub off upon you and will enhance your abilities in gaining the nearness of Allah.  Consider joining the youngsters in your locality who spend time with the Tabligh Jamaat or any other Deeni (religious) activities.

You have stated that your father offers you beneficial advices time to time. Stick to the good advices offered by your father and try to implement them.  Endeavor towards serving your father more and benefitting from his beneficial company.  Time to time, ask him to counsel you and guide you in life.  Before making decisions in life, seek the assistance and guidance of your father.

Lastly, you have stated that you have a great fervor to become an Alim. You are young at the moment and have a bright future.  Do not waste your valuable time.  Learning the knowledge of Allah’s Deen will get you very close to Allah Ta’ala and earn you respect and honor in both the worlds.  Again, consult your father in this regards as to which place would be best for you to initiate Alim studies.  Also, try to consult the Ulama (scholars) of your locality.

We make Dua that Allah Ta’ala accept you for His Deen and make you a means of guidance throughout the world. Ameen.         

Abdul Azīm bin Abdur Rahman,
U.S.A.

Checked and Concurred by,
Moulana Ismail Desai.

daruliftaa.net