Title: Reciting Quran where music is being played

Question

Assalamualaikum Mufti Saheb. I am a student of 12 class and now preparing for exam. I belongs to a village, Uttar Pradesh, India. I had to face many problems while going to school and coming back from there. So now I hired a room near my school. I have two roommate boys. I want to read Quran in my room.But I don't read there because my roommates listen music there. Is there any problem to put the QURAN in room and they are listening music? Can I read Quran there? Please advise me what to do?

Answer

It is pleasing to hear that you recite the Quran. Reciting the Quran daily with devotion will inculcate the love of Allah in your heart. It will strengthen your relationship with Allah. You should try reciting the Quran in a place where there is no disturbance. However, if there is no other place available than your room, you may request your roommates to shut off their music or use headphones for the duration of you reciting the Quran. If they are muslims, make an effort of instilling reverence of Quran into their hearts. If they do not comply with you, you may recite the Quran even if they are listening to their music.

With regards to placing the Quran in a room where music is being played, you may wrap the Quran in a piece of cloth or place it in a container. This will preserve the sanctity of the Quran.

Abdul Hannan Nizami,
Chicago, USA

Concurred by,

Moulana Abdul Azim bin Abdur Rahman

Moulana Ismail Desai