Title: I find school tough and don’t want to upset my mom.

Question

my mom has sent me to an extremely difficult school, and i am so tired and i cant do my homework and she gets really mad at me. how do i stop her getting mad at me i dont want allah to be mad at me.

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

Our parents love us and have our best interests at heart when they make a decision for us. A lot of the times it happens that we only realize and understand this when we grow older and have to stand on our own two feet. If your mother chose to send you to a better school, then it is only for your benefit.

A good education hinges on the willpower, determination and resolution of the individual. There may be an extremely bright student studying in an esteemed institute, but without the discipline and zeal needed, he won’t be of any good. Similarly, there may be a not so clever student or a student studying in a lackluster, run of the mill school with below average teaching who will achieve more than the bright student because of the time and effort he puts into his studies. While the institute, teachers and parents do play a role; it is primarily about the individual student.

It is about time management and being productive. You say that you are ‘so tired’. Sleep earlier. If you watch TV or play video games excessively, stop. 24 hours in a day are more than enough if you manage your time properly. Make a realistic timetable for each day and stick by it. If you don’t understand something in class, ask. If you genuinely feel that you are academically weak and need help, ask your parents to hire the services of a tutor.

Finally, make constant dua to Allah the Almighty and pray the following verse often:

رَبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا 

(20:114)

Translation: Oh Allah! Increase my knowledge.

Checked and Concurred by,
Abdul Azīm bin AbdurRahman,

Ismail Desai.