Asked Country: Canada

Title: 1) What is the duration of each Salat’s time? Can each Salat be performed just before the next Salat’s time comes in? 2) I have a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), which is only accessible after 5 years. Dopes this attract Zakat?

Question

Salam alaikum, 1. What is the duration of each salah’s time (especially Maghrib and Asr), can each salah be prayed just before the next salah’s time starts? I am aware that it’s best to pray each salah as soon as it begins but my concern is due to my employment, I can only pray in my breaks at work. 2. I have a RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) account, it is locked for 5 years and I am only able to withdraw the money from the account after 5 years has passed. Do I need to pay zakat every year for the RRSP account? Jazakallah khair.

Answer

Answer:

In principle Salat should not be delayed until the last minute.

The Fajr Salat commences from the time the broad whiteness in the sky becomes visible. The time for Fajr Salat continues until just before the sun rises. (Bahishti Zewar; pg. 133; Zam Zam Publishers; Ed 2005)

The Zuhr Salat commences at midday when the sun moves away from the zenith. The time for Zuhr continues until everything is twice its length in addition to the length it was at midday. (Bahishti Zewar; pg. 133; Zam Zam Publishers; Ed 2005)

The time for Asr salat commences as soon as the time for Zuhr Salat terminates as mentioned above. Asr time remains until the sun sets. However, it is disliked to perform Salat when the colour of the sun changes to pale yellow. (Bahishti Zewar; pg. 134; Zam Zam Publishers; Ed 2005)

The time for Maghrib Salat commences immediately after sunset and extends until the whiteness (white twilight) remains in the sky.[i]

Esha Salat commences after Maghrib time has ended. Esha time continues until the time for Fajr sets in. However, it is disliked to perform Esha Salat after Mid night. (Bahishti Zewar; pg. 134; Zam Zam Publishers; Ed 2005) 

If due to work restrictions you are unable to perform your Salat in its prescribed time, you may perform it just before the ending of the time and then perform the following Salat immediately as the time sets in for that Salat. However, you should try not to make this a habit. You should make every effort to perform your Salat  timeously when you do not have work restrictions.

Kindly furnish more detailed information on the Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) for us to comment. Please inform us also whether is it a voluntary contribution scheme or is it compulsory upon all employees to participate?

Saeed Ahmed Golaub

Westmoreland, Jamaica, West Indies

Checked and Approved

daruliftaa.net 

[i]  164- حَدَّثَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ قَالَ: حَدَّثَنَا حَاتِمُ بْنُ إِسْمَاعِيلَ، عَنْ يَزِيدَ بْنِ أَبِي عُبَيْدٍ، عَنْ سَلَمَةَ بْنِ الأَكْوَعِ، قَالَ: «كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يُصَلِّي المَغْرِبَ إِذَا غَرَبَتِ الشَّمْسُ وَتَوَارَتْ بِالحِجَابِ» . وَفِي البَابِ عَنْ جَابِرٍ، وَزَيْدِ بْنِ خَالِدٍ، وَأَنَسٍ، وَرَافِعِ بْنِ خَدِيجٍ، وَأَبِي أَيُّوبَ، وَأُمِّ حَبِيبَةَ، وَعَبَّاسِ بْنِ عَبْدِ المُطَّلِبِ، [ص:305] وَحَدِيثُ العَبَّاسِ قَدْ رُوِيَ مَوْقُوفًا عَنْهُ وَهُوَ أَصَحُّ. حَدِيثُ سَلَمَةَ بْنِ الأَكْوَعِ حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ صَحِيحٌ. وَهُوَ قَوْلُ أَكْثَرِ أَهْلِ العِلْمِ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ، وَمَنْ بَعْدَهُمْ مِنَ التَّابِعِينَ، اخْتَارُوا تَعْجِيلَ صَلَاةِ المَغْرِبِ، وَكَرِهُوا تَأْخِيرَهَا، حَتَّى قَالَ بَعْضُ أَهْلِ العِلْمِ: لَيْسَ لِصَلَاةِ المَغْرِبِ إِلَّا وَقْتٌ وَاحِدٌ وَذَهَبُوا إِلَى حَدِيثِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ حَيْثُ صَلَّى بِهِ جِبْرِيلُ، وَهُوَ قَوْلُ ابْنِ المُبَارَكِ، وَالشَّافِعِيِّ "(سنن الترمذى ج 1  ص42)