Title: Wedding costume for the bride and the groom

Question

Assalamualaikum,

Dear Respected Mufti Sab, firstly I would like to thank you from my bottom of the heart on your service and pray to Allah SWT to accept your service and reward with his pleasure in wordly as well as  the life here after. Ameen……. Allahumma Ameen

1. I just wanted to know the shari (Sunnah) costume for the Bride and Bride groom.

Kindly answer at the earliest.

Jazakallahu Khaira….. Assalamualaikum.

Answer

Marriage is a happy occasion. Shari’ah permits one to express happiness in such occasions provided it is accordance to the laws of Shari’ah.

The Shari’ah has not outlined any specific dress code for either of the spouses to wear at their wedding. One is at liberty to wear what they wish provided that it is in line with the laws of the Shari’ah, i.e. modest, covering the ‘awrah, loose attire, etc. Moreover, one should not be extravagant in choosing their wedding gown.

Furthermore, it is permissible to wear a special dress for a wedding. However, the dress should not be so expensive that it creates a financial burden on one.