Answered Date: Jul 25,2012

Title: Can I pay my Zakaat money to my debtor?

Question

Zakat: Someone who is eligible to take Zakat money owe me some cash money. I understand that it is not going to be returned to me.  I also give my Zakat to that person. Can I adjust some Zakat to that person without giving.

Answer

Answer:

The zakaat will not fulfilled by forgiving the debt. If you want to recover your debt, one way would be to give your zakaat money to the debtor who is eligible for zakaat, thereafter you can recoup your debt from from him. In this manner your zakaat will fulfilled and your debt will be recovered.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Ref:

احسن الفتاوى ص ٢٦٠ ج ٤ 

فتاوى عثماني ص ٦٣ ج ٢

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Moulana Muhammed Patel

Checked and Concurred by,
Mufti Faisal bin Abdul Hameed,
Montréal, Canada

DARUL IFTAA BUILDING PROJECT

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabrakatuh,

We make Du’aa you are well. The Darul Iftaa was established in the year 2011. The fundamental objective of the Darul Iftaa is to train Ulama from various parts of the world to become Muftis. In this world of scientific calculations and technological advancements, economic confusion and political disarray, a Mufti is trained to understand and analyze current situations and provide leadership for the Ummah. There is a vacuum  of competent Muftis in various parts of the world. The Ummah lacks leadership. There are currently twelve students who are studying at the Darul Iftaa. They are from United States of America, United Kingdom, Mozambique, Jamaica, Zambia, Canada and South Africa. There are many Ulama from many parts of the world who have applied to study the Iftaa course. They could not be accommodated due to lack of adequate facilities. The Darul Iftaa has therefore embarked on an expansion project.

The Darul Iftaa requests your generous contributions for the expansion project. The building project has already begun and is expected to be completed within the next three months. This is indeed a great opportunity for you to earn Sawab e Jariyah in the Aakhirah. This is a tree with many branches bearing sweet fruits for your Aakhirah. Insha’Allah. The Darul Iftaa banking details are as follows:

Bank:              FNB Bank
Account#:     62347912778
Branch:           221126

(The Darul Iftaa is registered and has the following PBO exemption number: 930039227 – 3 May 2012)

JazakAllah.

PS. For international donors, kindly make your contributions through PayPal: