Asked Country: United Arab Emirates

Answered Date: Jul 17,2012

Title: Do I have to pay Zakaat on the market value or investment value of shares?

Question

Assalam Alaikum Mufti Saheb,

I had invested INR 3 lakhs in shares of some textile, steel, software and petroleum companies in India about 3 years ago. Now the value of those shares have depreciated more than 50%. Do I have to pay zakat on the investment value (ie.3 lakhs Indian rupees) or their current value?

Jazakallah.

Answer

Muhtaram,

JazakAllah. For your question.

One is obligated to pay Zakaat on the current value of the shares that one owns in a company and the dividends that accrued thereof.[1]

Moulana Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa

او ما يساوي قيمته من عروض تجارة (نور الايضاح، ص 209، علمي ببليشرز)[1]